Monday 14 November 2016

“It always seems impossible until it is done” - Nelson Mandela

A word about the forthcoming exams, my experiences as a columnist and most importantly - the words of appreciation for the support…


The first semester faded like clouds with all its ups and downs. Fortunately, you have undergone the second semester, but now remains this ‘task’ of writing the examinations. This is the time where verses like this, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13) should not vacate your mind. Regardless of how low your DPs may be and the influence of other obstacles in light of the scripture quoted, I believe that in the forthcoming exams you will be the “head and not the tail”. In other words, you will succeed with ‘flying colours’ in your examinations depending on how you invest  your time. In addition, considering the gist of this column, understanding that you must live by principles and not preferences, and your relationship with and faith in God will make the latter a reality.  


The following motivations can help you to succeed in the fast-approaching exams:

 1. Do not forget where you come from (background), this calls for a critical reflection about your main reason of being here. If you come from an underprivileged background, this will influence your attitude towards the exams, your background will affect you to perceive the exams as the only route to break away from the poverty scourge that makes your family poor. 2. Excel where you are, so that you can be able to proceed to where you want to be. 3 Always remember where you are going (dream). 

(Julius Malema, 2016) puts point 2 and 3 eloquently when he says, As long as you have an appointment with the future [care less about the situations or people that want to pull you down], you have to make it to the appointment with the future. Adapted from (Pastor Zondo’s, 2014), motivation session.


            There are various things that squander our time. So if you want to invest your time (with the exams in mind), rather than, spending it, please consider Stephen Covey’s time management grid



. Firstly, He says urgent and important things must be executed straightway (E.g. preparing for the exams during the study week). Secondly, he says for important but not urgent, you can decide when to execute them (E.g. Jogging - it is high time that you remove jogging from your day schedule. Maybe I should be soft on this since it is exam time please limit the time you engage in the activity in question or any activity that is not that important since it is exam time. 

Dr. Stephe R Covey' Time Management Grid
Thirdly, urgent not important must be delegated. For instance, when your friend invites you to watch a soccer match at 15h00pm, while you are preparing for the exams. You can politely respond with a grin, telling him that he should tell you the match results when he comes back. 

Lastly, not important not urgent things, must be dumped, says Covey. Friends, I am giving you a chance to select the things that you need to dump (I know you have one or two of them) … dump them because they are not adding value to your life!


     
 When I was a student of accounting in grade twelve, there was this accounting expect from the learning channel. After his lessons, he always said, Always aim for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars”. To-date, this quote has always been my philosophy affecting the different spheres of my life that I engage with. Towards the end of the 2015 academic year when I approached the editor of this issue to give an opportunity to share my work. She offered me a slot to write about spiritual affairs, when she told me the names of other columnists, I said “No! no! if you say ***** is part of this – no I can’t do it”. Lindelwa insisted that I join this initiative. Today when I look back, I am very surprised at my potential of writing texts that are commended by my column readers including people from different countries. Sincerely, I never thought that one day I would write pieces that a lauded. That is why I say, “It always seems impossible until it is done” like Mr. Nelson Mandela once said. My brother and sister, you also have a gift that God has given you to share with the world. Please ensure that you unleash your untapped potential before you depart for Heaven.




Writing is like breathing to me – So effortless! So natural! The inspiration to write at times caught up with me while studying, I thank God for such an experience. Another thing that interests me about my pieces is the fact that when I write, not only God inspires me to teach other people about certain topics through myself, I also learn from my work!

 I am profoundly grateful to The Catalyst Newsletter Team for the opportunity. I also share same sentiments to the people who have been assisting me as touching the affairs of editing and proofreading my pieces, these people are Noluthando Ndlovu and Khanyi Mbambo.

I am also grateful to everyone whom I have been interacting with (or reading their work) because at times the inspiration to write was a germination of seeds that were set into my heart - after insightful conversations with the following people (some of them were people who patted me on the back for my columns):
·         My mentors:  Prof Mgqwashu, Dr SSS Mhlunngu and Mr Mthembu.
·      Friends, fellow students and brothers in the Lord: Sboniso Luthuli, Benele Mvelase, Mxolisi Biyela, Mxolisi Dube, Mnqobi Makhanya, Sphamandla Msweli, Xola Mbambo, Aubrey Nyathi, George Kehdinga, David Adebiyi, William Dagogo, Peter Merisi, Ayeni Adeniyi, Lindokuhle Mhlongo, Sydwel Mkhwanazi, Zamani Mangweni, Banele Mathenjwa, Bongumusa Nzimande, Sphamandla Shabalala, Bongani Mndaweni, Sbonelo Khumalo Sthelo Magagula, Mluleko Ndawonde, Siphosethu Ndebele, Malibongwe Mbeje, Mandla Mweni, Nokubonga Hadebe, Nolwazi Sibisi, Nelisiwe Sithole, Lindelwa Tshabalala, Noluthando Ndlovu, Khanyi Mbambo, Nhlanhla Ngidi, Phakade Zulu, Mluleki Msomi, Thembelani Mkhwanazi, Nkululeko Sibiya, Yonela Gaba, Ntombikayise Mthethwa, Thulile Mthethwa, Mlungisi Madide, Syanda Bhengu and Nkonzo Yaka – to name but a few.

Thanks! Kea leboha! Ngiyabonga! Ndiyabulela Enkosi

We have made it fourth-year students; I wish I could take back times when some students called us Freshers – they scared us in different ways.  They made us consider the completion of our course as something that is ‘far-fetched’.  

Considering where we come from and our experiences as fourth years it is appropriate for us to say “It always seems impossible until it is done”.

What we have to do is to finish strong good people! “No one can go back and make a brand new start, however, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending”. Academically I urge us to make this quote a reality by achieving excellent grade or marks, to the that we call all be called as students who are the cream of the crop.

A picture we took in 2014 while completing an assignment as second years students

 If you are a 1st , 2nd or a 3rd-year student – this piece is for you as well. I see the light at the end of the tunnel – trust me before you know it you are going to be completing this course.

Remain blessed and always ensure that you are in good terms with the God Trinity and the commands of the Bible, our Constitution as the Kingdom of God citizens.
                                                                                            





No comments:

Post a Comment